Thursday, July 21, 2005

Is it Really Kosher?

A KOSHER UPDATE
A friend of mine who recently started to keep Kosher called me the other night with a question; "Can we call somebody in NoVa and ask them about Wegman's? My grandfather told me they have kosher rotisserie chicken, and if they do I will have him bring me one". Why yes of course, lets call. First I call the supermarket itself: "Who is the supervising Rabbi at your supermarket, and what exactly is under supervision?". "Yes, uh, the Rabbi that does the certification is Rabbi Don - and she starts to spell it - D-O-N, Yoel, Y-O-E-L, Levy, L-E-V-Y, Rabbi Don Yoel Levy. Our kosher deli is under certification, we have ..." I didn't care for more, usually the hashgacha is good enough to know, and if it is the OK that that sounds good. I inquired as to how often a rabbi comes in to make an inspection, and I was told that he never comes in, and that go me very curious and piqued my interest in finding out more. I called a Rabbi there, and I was told that they do supposedly use kosher meats, Empire, Meal Mart and the such, and they decided that once they have kosher certified meat with an OK on it than that means that the deli can also be considered kosher under the OK. Very Interesting!
Does the OK know that their name is being used as a proof of hashgacha at these two stores in NoVa. I'm sure they have been told, but seemingly nothing has been done about it. I'm not sure what can be done, legally or otherwise because apparently they aren't posting that they are supervised by the OK, they are only telling people that when asked. When and if they are pressed any further they may, or may not tell u that it is in fact just a symbol on one of the foods they have rather than a certification of the deli.
People in NoVa need to be informed of this issue and take correct measures to let all the people that have been misinformed about the kashrus know the truth about these two stores. Yes they do carry kosher products, including meats and cheeses, however the delis are in no way certified kosher. Anyone that goes into a place like Wegman's and are told that a certain organization is there supervising agency, however they have no rabbi on premises, is urged to call that agency and inform them as soon as possible, because there is a better than good chance that it is not true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home